Search This Blog

Monday 7 February 2011

Mom's Baked Omelette

My mom always made this baked omelette when I was a kid but I was never a fan of it then.

As I grew older, this became one of my favourite dishes. It is tasty and a healthy alternative to fried omelettes. 

Here is the recipe.


1. Butter a rectangular small baking dish (8 x 3 or so).

2. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp bread crumbs in the baking dish to coat the butter well.

3. Whisk 8 eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. Add some chopped vegetables (total of about 2 to 2.5 cups). Today I used carrots, onions, broccoli, green and red peppers. But zucchini, parsley, asparagus or any other vegetable will work as part of the mix.

5. Sprinkle with 4 Tbsp bread crumbs, mix well and pour in baking dish.

6. Bake in 425 oven for about 40 minutes, until loaf looks fully cooked and starts to brown at the edges and top.




You can serve it hot, warm or even at room temperature. It is great as a main dish or cut into small squares and served as hors d'oeuvres at parties.

But most impressive is the ease of making this omelette. When a somerville kitchen blog follower called me with a 911 for a recipe to make for a special one's birthday breakfast, and knowing she does not cook, I gave her this recipe. She sent me the picture of her production with the following note. 


"It looks like it might possibly be the best looking thing I have ever made. It tastes great too. When I took it out of the oven and saw it, I was jumping up and down with excitement. 

You can now say if I can make it, ANYBODY can."

No comments: