Search This Blog

Friday 17 June 2011

Jardin Adventure with Shahi

An Iranian friend left me some Iranian herb seeds last year. She did not know what they were specifically, so I planted them referring to them as the red and black Iranian seeds.

And they grew pretty fast and are almost starting to seed. Well, I couldn't let them go to seed without trying something with them.


Another Iranian friend educated me further on this, calling them greens shahi. They could be eaten as salad, or dried and used in all sorts of manners. 

So the adventure begun. I picked a bunch of the two types, chopped them, added olive oil, salt and lemon juice. A salad of green herbs that I have never seen before was ready.

Now I needed to figure out what to eat with this salad. 

Lebanon has similar greens that are usually made into a salad and eaten with a dish called Moujadara. Moujadara is simply Moudardara (see Good Friday Moudardara) passed through the moulin and turned into a dip texture.

The Moujadara turned out perfect and it went really well with my Iranian jardin shahi salad.

Another side that goes well with Moujadara are olives. Tonight's olives were Lebanese ones bought in Toronto two weeks ago (see Food Shopping in Toronto).

No comments: