Search This Blog

Thursday 29 December 2011

Going Japanese on Broadway

Broadway street in Vancouver may be thought of by many as a necessary corridor to cross by car or bus with lots of traffic lights.

But on a vacation day, a stroll on Broadway can yield many discoveries and interesting types. And surprisingly, a Japanese theme popped up as I strolled on Broadway from Main Street to Granville Street. 

1. Murata 15 East Broadway, Vancouver BC (murata.ca)

2. Marulilu Cafe 451 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC

3. Go Fish Restaurant, 1521 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC


Murata is one of the most interesting gift stores in the city. Everything is made in Japan and they have gifts that range from small items to unique one-of-a-kind Japanese art pieces.

Friendly staff, relaxing ambiance and lots of discoveries - objects, kitchenware, books, cards, mouse pads, teas and many cats!



Marulilu is a small Japanese cafe hidden on Broadway right next to the Coast Capital Savings Branch on Broadway and Cambie.

Japanese style breakfast caught my eye. The polite friendly Japanese server asked me if I wanted it with Tofu or Natto. Feeling adventurous, I asked for Natto.

In a polite Japanese fashion, she told me that I may not find Natto very appealing (smelly and sticky were her words) and offered to give me the breakfast with Tofu but include a small taster of Natto.

Delicious Tofu, nice grilled salmon, microwaved tasteless omelette. As for the Natto, the server was very wise indeed.



Exhausted with shopping, I was hungry as I reached Broadway and Granville where a wooden mermaid statue in a restaurant window arrested me (I love mermaids).

How could I resist this trendy seafood boutique called Go Fish, so in I went.

Now what is so Japanese you ask about having a grilled wild Pacific salmon sandwich with salad and fries? Well, the sandwich was served with Japanese style pickles that were quiet different - more crunchy and less sour than typical pickles. The bun was laced with Japanese wasabi style mayonnaise and served with a Japanese style salad.

Salmon excellent, fries too salty, salad delicious and the Japanese pickles the best.


Now who would have thought this stretch of Broadway street could be so interesting, so tasty and so Japanese...

 Go Fish on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

~T.E.~ said...

it's 8 am and my mouth is watering already-maybe I should start eating breakfast!

Flappy said...

will have to visit the Murata Store.
Hey.... Santa looks like he's had a rough night!
Love the photo shot of the all day Breakfast menu.
It gives us an idea of how much one can expect to pay.