Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Sudanese Foul

A year ago, I bought this calendar with different vegetarian recipes from around the world. I had high hopes for it and plans to try and feature each month's recipes. 

I only managed to make three recipes given that none of the others were that interesting.

But last night I tried the December recipe and it was amazing.

The recipe is from Sudan and the key ingredient is "Foul" (fava beans). For those followers with good memories, you would recall reading about the Lebanese Foul Moudamas - fava beans dressed with a lemon, olive oil, garlic and salt. 

But this recipe is much different and, for some, may be more appealing than the Lebanese version.

The ingredients are simple and found everywhere. You can find fava beans cans in many supermarkets and definitely in any middle eastern, Greek or Iranian stores.

Nothing fancy about the rest of the ingredients even though I think Sudanese will use some other cheese than feta.

Kitchen Tip - I buy dry fava beans, soak them over night, boil them and freeze them. This way they are low in sodium and ready to use anytime.

Below are cooking instructions from the calendar itself. I recommend you add the lemon juice to the beans with the oil.


It sure was popular during the Vegetarian Soiree last night. The combination of cilantro over the beans and the cheese and eggs on the other side sure brought out distinctively wonderful flavours with the beans.

At last I got my money's worth out of this calendar. I will be making this again soon.



No comments: