Search This Blog

Friday 4 May 2012

Sheikh El Mehshi by Mom

I blogged Sheikh El Mehshi in my first 15 days blogging (read Sheikh El Mehshi).

Almost two years later, mom showed me that I have done it all wrong. So for my sake and the sake of those readers who like this kind of food, the real recipe follows.

But before we go further, if you are into meats and vegetables with rice, check out the Lebanese Stews Series recipes - there is one for every bean or vegetable imaginable (or almost).

This stew is best made with what I call Lebanese zucchinis - light-coloured zucchinis you find in spring/summer at Chinese, Iranian or Indian markets. I bought mine at 910 Supermarket (4355 Main Street).


Step 1: Cut the zucchinis lengthwise into 3 slices - half boil and lay into a baking dish. Sprinkle with fried pine nuts.


Step 2: Mix one can of tomato paste with 2 cups of water until it is a sauce and add to the zucchinis.


Step 3: Top with some cooked ground beef (for recipe of ground beef cooking, read The Art of Ground Beef).


Step 4: Bake in a 400 degrees oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens. 


Step 5: Like any Lebanese stew, serve over rice and enjoy.


No comments: