Search This Blog

Thursday 12 July 2012

Wacky Waters

It all started with this picture I found on Facebook. What a great idea I thought.

And a wacky home made vitamin waters experiment begun. Over the past few weeks I have made everyone of those and the verdict is reported below.





The All Citrus was citrusy. 

Probably the one with the highest level of vitamin C of all the experiments, it rated low on flavour - a bland taste with a bitter aftertaste. 

I bet squeezing those lemons and limes and making lemonade would have injected the same amount of vitamins in me, at a better taste. A bit of sugar and orange blossom water would have taken it to even higher ecstatic tastes, but would that still make it vitamin water I wonder?

I think it is the lime that messed it all up - next time I am going to try lemon and lavender and see how that goes down.



The Raspberry Lime was not bad.

It did not really have too much flavour, but made the water feel fresh in a subtle kind of way.

Now mind you, 12 hours later, the raspberries started looking like brain chunks of a Martian creature and it was time to abort this experiment.

Wonder what I will get if I use jardin raspberries next time, keep the lime and add some ginger? Water for thought...



Watermelon Rosemary was my all water experiment favourite.

The flavour of the water changed with every glass and passing hour. By the time I drank the last glass, it felt more like I was drinking watermelon juice than water.

Another bonus to this creation is that I was able to keep on adding water for more than 24 hours and the watermelon and rosemary kept their freshness.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather have watermelon juice - I bet that will give the same amount of water but with better taste and vitamin content.

 

The Blackberry Sage has potential.

Two things I am guessing I did not do right. First, I should have included another branch of sage - jardin is full of them.

Second, I should have waited until local blackberries come out. Those US genetically modified to be tasteless and feel like plastic just did not do it. See how clear the water stayed?

I love blackberries and blackberry syrup so I am determined to perfect this version.



I liked the Pineapple Mint.

It was refreshing and you could taste the pineapple and mint in the water. Like the watermelon version, this one lasted more than 24 hours and allowed me to keep on adding water and keep the jug going.

I think I will double up on the mint next time and add some other herb, edible flower or maybe strawberries. Hmmm, that is an idea.

And this is the story of my wacky waters experiment for this wacky Thursday article. Anyone with other wacky waters ideas?

No comments: