Search This Blog

Saturday 3 November 2012

The Real Ghormah Sabzie

Earlier this summer I attempted making one of my favourite Iranian dishes, Ghormeh Sabzie (read about my failed attempt here).

Luckily, a dear Iranian friend took pity on me and prepared an Iranian feast with a made-from-scratch Ghormeh Sabzie.

The dish is a herb stew made with fenugreek (main herb), parsley, cilantro, tarragon and Iranian chives (tareh). It is cooked for hours with meat, kidney beans and Iranian limes.

Not only delicious, but those herbs leave a serene feeling flowing through your body.


Iranian rice is another delicacy that I have never mastered. 

The process is complex (read Iranian Rice). More complex is getting the layer of potatoes underneath the rice come out so perfect and crunchy.


Covered with Iranian saffron, this just perfected the Ghormeh experience.

Served with Iranian salad (Iranians' ability to chop vegetables so small amazes me), herbs and home made pickled shallots.


Along the way, I learnt a new trick to de-seed pomegranate.

Kitchen Tip
Cut the pomegranate in half. With a metal ladle, knock on the pomegranate's outside all around, then hammer it with the ladle.

The seeds just perfectly drop off.


Those were used over Iranian Ice Cream to wrap up a most pleasant evening with a sweet and sour dessert.

  
 Thank you my dear Iranian Friend.

No comments: