Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Back to Madras Dosa House

As one of my Favourite Places, I was looking forward to returning to Madras Dosa House (Read Dining with an Author).

And I am glad I did because it proved again to be a great hidden treasure on Fraser Street.

The first thing I was craving to try here is their mango lassi. Not an item on the menu, but they sure do it and do it well.

When it came time to order, I wanted some of my favourites but at least try one new thing.

Here's a recommended menu for when you visit.



The Sambar Vada - deep fried patties soaked in a spicy lentil soup.

 
The Utlappam, a fermented crepe stuffed with onions and curry leaves (and as such a real kick) and of course one of their Dosas.


The lamb biriyani was good and spicy (but regular readers know where my favourite biriyani is on Fraser Street). I like the boiled egg addition here though.


And a special dish that is similar to biriyani (but cannot recall its name nor find it on the restaurant's online menu) which, if I understood the owner right, is chicken cooked with shredded dough. I liked it.


I cannot resist the white and creamy Rasa Malai in any place, let alone in a quality Indian restaurant. It was less sweet than I had it at other restaurants and tasted home made with care.


Madras Dosa House
5656 Fraser Street
Vancouver, BC

Madras Dosa House on Urbanspoon


 

No comments: