Search This Blog

Saturday 30 March 2013

Easter Eggs

I was inspired by my brother.


And no, those are not mine. He is way more of a perfectionist than I am.

Nonetheless, he was on to something - naturally edible egg dye for Easter Eggs. 

I liked the idea so much that I rummaged through my fridge and cupboards this morning and managed to find all I need.

It was an experiment, but one I liked. I think next year I will be more organized and mine will look like those of my brother's. 

The first natural dye is beets.

I added the beet, peeled and cut into four, to the water. Added the eggs and turned on the fire for a total of 20 minutes (which is how I boil eggs).

They did not turn out as pink as I would have liked.


The next natural dye is turmeric. 

The question was how much to add. I followed the same process - water, 1 Tbsp turmeric and the eggs. Off to cooking.

It worked much better than the beets for sure. How much did you use brother?


The last natural dye I used was frozen blueberries.

This was tricky. I mushed them, added the water, eggs and turned on the heat for 20 minutes. The eggs looked like they have not changed colour.

The outcome was not too bad though.








Lent was broken.

Jesus has risen.

Eggs were cracked.

And the week of holy foods (referred to by some as Jesus food) is over.

Happy Easter everyone.




No comments: